2009年10月25日 星期日

Week Four

I don’t learn completely the way American student learn. Networked student depends heavily on the Internet; they almost learn everything by computer. However, there are some similarity between the way I learn and the way American student learn. For example, I often use computer to complete my homework, I also search for information on the Internet.

In my point of view, it is hard to say that whether “Networked Student” is a good or a bad change, because there are advantages and disadvantages about this. First, it is very convenient to use computer to learn. We can get information from a variety of sources and we can also use a lot of programs to change our ideas with others. Nevertheless, when we depend too much on the internet, we are likely to get Internet addiction. Once we get Internet addicted, we may ignore our real life relationship, and maybe end up lose our closest friend.

I think what is more important than determine networked student a bad change or a good change is that we should strike a balance between using the computer and not using the computer.

3 則留言:

  1. Yeah, I agree. It's a matter of a balance between to use or not to use. This quote from you is cruelly true: "Once we get Internet addicted, we may ignore our real life relationship, and maybe end up lose our closest friend." Ha, you can take me as an example, but my case is a two-way situation: My real life doesn't go well in this semester, so I've wasted much time on unimportant things after school and work, including the Internet. Things get worse and I've lost a friend.

    Obviously, personal interaction in real life is healthier than virtual interaction in cyberspace.

    回覆刪除
  2. [Comments from My Blog]
    1. This is how American college students learn. Are you learning in a similar way?
    I'm not learning in the same or similar way. I didn't even know some of the tools mentioned in the video clips. But there are some characteristics in common, such as the frequent use of social networks and the Internet, which influence our daily life very much.

    2. What does it mean by “Networked Students”?
    I don't know the exact definition of networked students; however, to me, it means those who are resourceful by means of the Internet networks.

    3. Is it a good or a bad change, and why?
    With the rapid development of technology, we're often forced to be hi-tech. I feel ambivalent about technology as well as the Internet. Technology and the Internet seem convenient but they also bring us side effects at the same time.

    Using computers and social networks may save a lot of paper and trees, but actually using them also waste a lot of energy, and it will harm the earth and our health. It's a matter of balance between hi-tech and non-hi-tech, or between networked and non-networked.

    Information management can be done both in hi-tech and traditional ways. Internet networks do help, but there are other options, which in my opinion is fundamental in the learning process. It's very risky that we rely on the Internet too much. Too much homework is done with computers and the Internet. Excessive use of them is tiring. If people can only process everything on computers and the Internet, how can we do once we don't have them? Therefore, we still need to learn the non-hi-tech ways.

    Sometimes the actual interaction between teachers and learners is more effective and valuable. Sometimes learning things in the traditional and simple way is quicker in action and lasing in memory. For example, I can consult the paper dictionaries faster than those who are accustomed to electronic dictionaries. When I've already found a word in only a few seconds, they might have not yet finished typing, not to mention looking up words in paper dictionaries.

    In addition, note that the video clip was not produced in a hi-tech way. There's no computer graphic. Paper alone is helpful enough. This feature points out the strengths of the traditional methods.

    In sum, in learning, to be resourceful is not necessarily to be networked.

    回覆刪除
  3. I feel sad for that. But I believe that there must be some way to make up. I believe that a real friend will forgive you if you are willing to change. I also depends a lot on Internet now, but when I am using something like msn, I also use that to contact my friends. Internet have advantages and disadvantages, all depends on how we use it.

    回覆刪除