2009年9月30日 星期三

Week One

1.
I do tell people: “I have my own values and principles. They should be respected under all kinds of circumstances.” In doing so, if someone laughs at me for never skipping the classes, I would tell him firmly that it is nothing wrong not to skip the classes. I never skip classes because I respect the teachers, respect the choices I have made and respect myself. On the contrary, for those who skip the classes, they are simply telling others that they can’t be responsible for themselves, and can’t stick to their own principles. When you are choosing your classes you should evaluate your own abilities whether you can attend all the classes, if you are not able to make it, then don’t choose them. Once you make up your mind in choosing the classes, you should stick to it no matter how toilsome it would be.
2.
Whether I believe others or not depends on whether things are believable. For instance, when my friend tells me that working as a part-time waiter in a fancy restaurant will get me a lot of money, I will try to find more information about this news before I make decision.

5 則留言:

  1. 網誌管理員已經移除這則留言。

    回覆刪除
  2. 1. I do agree with you. However, I’d like to add one more point. In addition to that “I” have my own values and principles, “you” have your own, too. Therefore, everyone should respect each other’s different values and principles under all kinds of circumstances. That is, I may have my reasons. You have yours. People may peacefully persuade each other with different reasons but one cannot laugh at the other party when they do not accept different views.
    2. Yes, indeed. It is not wise to believe everything people tell us. Instead, any judgment or decision should be made after enough information is collected.

    回覆刪除
  3. 作者已經移除這則留言。

    回覆刪除
  4. [Comments from My Blog]

    Being able to think, to learn, and to keep up with the world, first of all, require being willing to do so. People do have abilities and potentials, but everyone often don't develop them because he or she doesn't have a strong will and doesn't take any action. Another problem is that people often judge each other without enough information.

    1.
    I do not directly tell people "I have my own values and principles. They should be respected under all kinds of circumstances." However, I think so. Furthermore, everyone has his or her own values and principles, so everyone should respect each other's differences. That is, I should respect other values and principles, too.
    One has rights to peacefully persuade the other party, but one cannot force them to change, for they also have rights not to change. People should not only respect but also try to understand each other's views. After understanding each other, if one cannot accept the other's view, let it be. That's true liberty: trying to understand the other party even if you don't stand on the same side.
    Never skipping classes is nothing wrong and shouldn't be laughed at. If students have to be absent, they should provide reasonable excuses. I always inform the teacher of the reasons and ask for the approval of leave beforehand. However, as a late riser, I regret to say that I'm often late for class. Sometimes, if I cannot attend the class before it ends, I may skip the class. Being late may cause unexpected absences.

    2.
    I do not believe everything that people tell me; however, I would try to understand what people have said and collect enough information to decide whether what they say is reliable or not. A college student should have the ability to judge true or false. If people are right, of course I will believe them.
    In addition, action speaks louder than words. Therefore, I would observe what people say and what people do to see if one coincides with the other.

    回覆刪除
  5. In sum, I think that believing others or not depends on what they act. Only after a careful observation can we decide whether we should trust them. I think after thinking twice then make decisions will be the best idea.

    回覆刪除